Company: Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Job description: Overview:
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been chosen by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to be the Data and Research Center for the Precision Medicine Initiative “All of Us” Research Program, a landmark study of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors affecting the health of a million or more people. This initiative requires the development and integration of applications and data sources to support participants, health provider staff, and researchers.
We are looking for a Sr. Application Developer to join our development team to perform a variety of programming tasks in support of the research and data teams. This person’s main focus will be designing and developing software tools for data extraction and transformation processes, developing/modifying data models, and automate data curation workflows. This will include developing complex SQL scripts for data analysis and extraction, developing and maintaining programs as required for the ETL process, keeping accurate and complete project documentation, performing quality testing and data assurance, and working with project managers and the Data Quality Team (DQT) members to satisfy research needs. The person in this role will need to be adaptable and be able to pick up whatever new skills and expertise are needed to complete large/multiple development projects at hand.
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code
- Design and implementation of low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server-side logic
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Integration of data storage solutions in the Google cloud
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science
- Demonstrated expertise in Python, with working knowledge of at least one Python web framework, such as Django, Flask
- Demonstrated proficiency in SQL, 5+ years hands on experience in relational database, prefer MySQL
- Demonstrated familiarity with some ORM (Object Relational Mapper) libraries
- Demonstrated ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Demonstrated understanding of the threading limitations of Python and multi-process architecture
- Demonstrated understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Demonstrated knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Demonstrated understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Demonstrated ability to design/create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Demonstrated strong unit testing and debugging skills
- Demonstrated proficiency using code versioning tools, such as Git, Mercurial or SVN
- Good communication skills
- Cloud hands-on experience, such as AWS, Azure or Google cloud preferred
About the Department:
The Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical & Translational Research (VICTR) is Vanderbilt’s virtual home for clinical and translational research. Supported by Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s Office of Research and the NIH-sponsored Clinical and Translational Service Award (CTSA), the mission of the institute is to transform the way ideas and research discoveries make their way from origin to patient care. VICTR functions to help researchers and clinicians do their jobs better by providing tools and support to improve the quality of research, publications, grant writing, and training for future doctors and researchers.
Position Shift: Days
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
- US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children’s Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
- Healthcare’s Most Wired: Among the nation’s 100 “most-wired” hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
- Becker’s Hospital Review: named as one of the “100 Great Hospitals in America”, in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
- The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children’s hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
- Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
- National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
- Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
- 5 years relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Sedentary category requiring exertion up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and uses negligible amounts of force to move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
- Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one’s feet without moving.
- Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
- Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
- Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
- Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
- Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
- Frequent: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
- Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
- Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
- Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
- Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
Location: Nashville, TN
Job date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 07:41:54 GMT
Apply for the job now!