Company: Medical Science & Computing
Job description: Please enable cookies in your browser to experience all the personalized features of this site, including the ability to apply for a job.
Senior Software Developer with Cloud/Architecture (Java, C++, or Python)
Job ID 2021-9888 # of Openings 2 Job Location(s) US-MD-Bethesda Posted Date 6 days ago(5/6/2021 9:24 AM) Category Information Technology
NCBI, the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the nation’s premier biomedical resource, is seeking a senior software developer to help architect and deliver cloud-based bioinformatics pipelines for the nation’s foremost sequence and biomedical literature repositories. Sites at NCBI, a part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), see four million daily users searching for gene sequence data, biomedical journal citations, and a wide array of other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health. NCBI’s annotation pipelines not only serve these diverse expert communities – they actually drive new life sciences discoveries, ranging from medical health (viruses and pandemics, genetic diseases, cancer) to public health (food safety monitoring, antimicrobial resistance, viral outbreaks), to basic research topics in bioinformatics and microbial diversity, and many more.
At NCBI you can help cure cancer and other diseases, protect the public from food-borne pathogens, and contribute to the nation’s richest trove of biomedical data.
On a technical level, NCBI’s wide range of applications, platforms (e.g. node, python, Django, C++), and applications and environments (petabyte-level big data, machine learning, multiple cloud providers) serve more users than the US Postal Service and see more traffic than the IRS at tax time. We embrace FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) and are on the cutting edge of civic tech and cloud computing.
This role calls for more than an expert coder and architect – someone who can work equally effectively with user researchers, designers, product managers, scientists, security and DevOps engineers, and more. Work with teams of dedicated, skilled developers, researchers, and product professionals as you build robust, flexible cloud-based pipelines serving dozens of production applications and thousands of APIs and services. Join us!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of NCBI bioinformatics pipelines
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms
- Facilitate development of cloud-ready tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the
field * Learn new technologies, keep up with internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team
- Lead other developers
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data or working in a distributed computing environment
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies a strong plus:
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, such as: Java, C, C++, Golang
- Fluency in some scripting languages such as BASH, csh, Perl, or Python
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with open source projects
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit testing, integration and regression testing
- 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
- Familiarity with NGS computational tools and formats (BWA, GATK, Galaxy, etc.)
- Demonstrated active involvement into open source communities (GitHub, etc.)
- Experience managing production workflow of an online public database
- Experience with RESTful API design
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you’ll get…
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals – we’ve got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Location: Bethesda, MD
Job date: Thu, 13 May 2021 03:55:15 GMT
Apply for the job now!